Postcards of a different kind from Rajasthan

Monday, January 28, 2013

I spent two weeks in Rajasthan. As expected it was very commercialized and crowded but I managed to find some quiet and quaint corners for myself. I trekked through the Thar desert, spent few days deconstructing the paintings of Shekhawati Havelis and had dinner with royalty to name a few. Here's what I saw. :)

Thar Desert, Rajasthan
Start of the five day trek through the Thar Desert. Our guide on his camel.

Ranakpur Jain Temple, Rajasthan
A Lady offering prayers in the beautiful Jain Temple of Ranakpur

Murals, Rajasthan
Frescoes of many a kind adorning the domes of tombs in Shekhawati.

Desert National Park, Rajasthan
This is where we stayed in Desert National Park, Sudasari

Sand dunes, Rajasthan
Beautiful pristine sand dunes of neither Sam nor Khuri

Ancient Havelis of Shekhawati
A glorious painted Haveli of Shekhawati, now in ruins and neglect

Restored Haveli in Fatehpur
A French artist bought a haveli and restored the frescoes to bring to its former glory, Fatehpur 

Carpet Weavers of Jodhpur
Businessman around Jodhpur

JalMahal, Jaipur
Beautifully lit Jal Mahal of Jaipur

Kids at Rajasthan
Pesky kids running after us for money, after a while they just smiled and left.

Gadisar Lake, Jaisalmer
Gadisar Lake, Jaisalmer

Mustard Fields
Mustard fields in South Rajasthan

Sunrise in the Desert, Rajasthan
A beautiful sunrise and a solitary tree

Come along with me, on a virtual journey! Find me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You Might Also Like

29 comments

  1. Super Neelima..picture perfect..The sand dunes snap is the pick due to light and shades..and rest of the snaps are too good..Hats off to your energy level to venture in to beautiful locations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Srikanth, only happy to venture into such beautiful locations. :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Neelima!!! these are the kind of postcards I would love to see of Rajasthan.. unlike the ones we see all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anu! I was very doubtful if I would be able to enjoy Rajasthan at all, but thankfully all I had to do was get off the track. What a delightful place it is. I can only imagine the joy of the early travelers to this place.

      Delete
  3. Great photos Neelima! Especially loved the ones from Ranakpur and Gadisar lake. I remember, when I was there, the symmetry and the hundreds of columns of the temple enchanted me (and my camera) for a quite a while! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gadisar lake at dawn or dusk is a lovely place to be. And so is Ranakpur. Glad you liked the images. :)

      Delete
  4. Super shots!! Rajasthan is just so colorful and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots, especially the mustard field one! And also the solitary tree one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renuka, the mustard fields were a lovely surprise. :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome captures!

    http://www.rajniranjandas.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice pics. the daylight shots scream out 'polarizer filter' :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, that's a good observation. A bright sunny day with blue skies is way too tempting not to use a polarizer! Thanks. :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photographs. Wish if you could provide some more information wrt your Thar experience. New to your blog.
    Regards,
    Satyender
    www.bnomadic.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog Satyender, hope you like what you see here. :)
      Have been meaning to post about that trek for a really long time now, but hasn't been working. In January 2013 issue of NatGeo Traveller India, I published an article about the desert trek in detail, do check it out if you get your hands on the magazine.

      Delete
  9. Lovely pics Neelima.. Need to plan a visit to Rajasthan!!!

    MANUPONNAPPA.BLOGSPOT.IN

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome Clicks, Just follower of your Blog..... Nice write Up.. Visit my blog to..http://say2daffodil.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures! I think I've just decided on where I want to go next on my next trip to India - Rajasthan!

    On your 5-day trek, where did you stay? Tents or villages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) If you manage to get off the tourist trail, Rajasthan still holds an abundance of treasure for the traveller.
      We stayed in a mix of all, village schools, huts in Desert National Park and tents by the sand dunes.

      Delete
  12. Awesome pics... this is real Rajasthan...away from the Tourist traps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, there's still a lot of Rajasthan left for the offbeat traveler, a lot! :)

      Delete
  13. Really Beautiful Pictures...Loved the Jal Mahal and the Sunrise..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spouse and I are going to Rajasthan in Feb , got here seeing the lovely pics of the sanddunes. Would you have any recommendation for the Camel Safari - (no overnight stay) at Jaisalmer. Esp since you said neither Sam or Khuri. ( I believe most of the safaris have resulted in plastic strewing on the dunes ) We are only interested in photos of the dunes, none of the touristy dance performances and village-visits-for-firangs. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Find me on Twitter

Subscribe