5 Images of the view from High Above

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Even after countless flights, till date, I am just as eager to get the window seat. I am even okay with the middle seat but rarely the aisle. I strain my neck, put up with the glare and if there were a window, I'd be hanging out of it like a dog but unfortunately that is not the case! Anyway, most of my flights are to usually to Delhi and then I head towards the mountains by road. But occasionally when flying to places like Diburgarh in Assam or Port Blair in Andaman or Leh in Ladakh, we do get to some amazing views. And a change of perspective surely helps us discover more beauty! So here's five images of my view from the plane. 

Flying to Leh is almost as exciting as driving to Leh, if not completely. Seeing the brown mountains slowly being covered by ice, the excitement in the flight is palpable. Soon you are flying over white mountains and glaciers and if you are lucky you can spot the Tso-Moriri Lake too! Taken on the flight from Delhi - Leh.

The first time I saw clouds, I almost cried. I still love clouds and flying through them is nothing short of a magical ride for me, a bumpy and a scary one at that. This was taken on the flight from Srinagar - Delhi.

Needless to say, flying over oceans isn't as exciting if there's nothing apart from ocean below. But if there is a reef or island below, it is a completely different story. And if you are flying over an island as famous as North Sentinel, that still has uncontacted tribes and there is a rainbow in the sky, what more of a view can you ask for? Taken on the flight from Port Blair - Chennai.

Flying into Leh, seeing this green patch and the hovering clouds was worrying me. Many say that the inclusion of greenery in the high altitude desert has been ruining the natural balance in Ladakh. There has been a very unusual cloud burst, unlikely rainy weather over the past few years. This was taken on the flight from Delhi - Leh.

The mightiest and possibly the scariest river that creates catastrophic flood every year, I eyed the braided Brahmaputra River from a distance while flying out of Dibrugarh in Assam. This was taken on the flight from Dibrugarh - Kolkata. 

Also in my mind, I always talk to the land I am leaving behind and bid goodbye. Do you do that too? :)
So these were some of my most memorable views out of a place. Do you have some views that have been etched in your mind? Did you capture any such views from plane? Do share with me. 

Come along with me, on a virtual journey! Find me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You Might Also Like

28 comments

  1. wow! some amazing captures - indeed great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome.... The srinagar delhi picture looks like a picture taken from space :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, sometimes the clouds formations do feel like I am flying through another world. :)

      Delete
  3. Excellent captures!! I was so fortunate to capture the beautiful tiny islands of Maldives while on my flight to Mauritius. And yes, I bid goodbye to every land when I leave and say 'hello' to every new place that I visit.

    http://rajniranjandas.blogspot.in/2013/02/colours-of-maha-kumbh-mela.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lovely! Do we have a picture of islands of Maldives? Unfortunately when I was flying in and out of Andaman, it was raining pretty much. And glad to know someone else who talks to the place like I do. :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful, need to change my choice of seat in plane :)

    Keep them coming thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I also have a window-seat fixation :) Must say, great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pictures Neelima .. And your writing completely enhances each of them .. I have never come across such an ardent nature lover as you .. Thanks for sharing these beautiful sights and your equally beautiful and well expressed thoughts!
    As for my aerial view experiences, the best so far is the view of the Palm Islands during my flight from Dubai to Bangalore .. Though it is not a naturally formed one, it was very beautiful to watch and so were the stretch of sand and even barren land ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such an awesome complement Aarthy! Thank you. :))
      I am so glad my love for nature comes across through my posts.

      Delete
  7. Great pictures..the pic being the sun, the peppered clouds, with the rainbow..and as always narration gives the feel of we travelling with your camera all the time! Nice collection Neelima!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That view of the clouds was indeed surreal. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks Neelima. The pictures are 'out of the world' or rather 'top of the world'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That could be an apt description too! Thank you.

      Delete
  9. आकाशीय फ़ोटो बहुत सुन्दर लग रहे है।

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does't it look nice from up there. Brilliant photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, the view's always good from the top. Thanks.

      Delete
  11. I scrolled up and down, I think the first is the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the mountains too. It was nice meeting you at the bloggers meet. :)

      Delete
  12. Hey Neelima, awesome pics I especially liked the first one, still waiting to go to Leh, last two times I was close but the road was closed. It was great meeting you at the bloggers meet, thanks for coming :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Nice meeting you too. :)
      You should go to Leh as soon as possible and for the first time, you should probably take the road journey. It is so much fun, not as wild as it used to be, but fun nevertheless.

      Delete
  13. Hello Maam,

    Have no words for these pictures. I like the 1st 2 pictures and 2nd last.

    Simply amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful write up and excellent pictures Neelima. Seeing this magical wonderlands from high above in a birds view is a feeling that has to be experienced.

    I too have one such experience in the mountain flight of Nepal. You can go through my link here :
    http://arjunhaarith.blogspot.in/2012/06/journey-to-dreamland-through-mountain.html

    ReplyDelete

Find me on Twitter

Subscribe