Rain Soaked Beauty of Bhutan - In Pictures

Sunday, October 19, 2014


Every year, between June and October, I've been dedicatedly returning to the Indian forests and mountains to experience the wonder that is Monsoon Magic! But earlier this year in June, I ended up chasing monsoons in Bhutan as well. Considering how pristine the countryside and wilderness is in Bhutan, it was a delightful time to be there. I think, only a snow-ridden winter visit can top what I've seen in those misty rain soaked days. Without further ado, here's a glimpse of my monsoon escapade in the Land of Thunder Dragon!

(Also read7 Interesting things about Bhutan you probably didn't know!)

Monsoon in Bhutan
This is why Bhutan is called the last Shangri-La! Look at the mist covered mountains and monasteries perched on impossible cliffs. Woke up to this view for 3 days and it will never cease to amaze me - a perfect memory from a beautiful country.  

Monsoon in Bhutan
Beautiful Rhododendron bloom welcoming me in Bhutan as well. I had seen these flowers adorn the forests of Sikkim (Goecha La Trek) just the month before and couldn't get enough of it. Luckily, the season was still on and I got to see much more of these pretty flowers during my time in Bhutan. 

Monsoon in Bhutan
This is where fairies must be living or probably this is the Shire! Clusters of pretty houses in a narrow valley between pine covered mountain slopes. I was impressed by how well the wilderness areas were protected in Bhutan. They have, after all, vowed to keep at least 60% of the country under forest cover.

Monsoon in Bhutan
Bhutan is primarily an Agrarian country and this is why you will find lush green fields everywhere you go. In the monsoons, it is a sight to behold as you can see. 

Monsoon in Bhutan
My tryst with the forests of Bhutan was fleeting and nominal because trekking in Bhutan will burn a deep hole in my pocket. So I had to suffice with the roadside stops to peer into the lush greenery. But you can imagine how beautiful the country is, if I could get views like this just from the road!

Monsoon in Bhutan
Okay, you don't need me to tell you how pretty this scene is. Instead, tell me, so who wants to live here? ;)


Monsoon in Bhutan
Monsoon in Bhutan
Monsoon is my favorite season not just because of the mist and greenery but because of all the wild flowers it brings. I followed a trail going up a mountain and ended up in a sea of wild flowers of every shape and color! Also ended getting very lucky with sighting this super rare Blue Himalayan Poppy!

Monsoon in Bhutan
One of the several Rice Bowls of Bhutan, Paro and it's green fields shining despite a dark stormy sky! 

Monsoon in Bhutan
Last rays of the day during the last few hours in Bhutan, just few kilometers from India. . See how the hills of Bhutan are reducing to plains of India?

Monsoon in Bhutan
See the narrow line in dark just before the houses start? That's the border wall, between India and Bhutan. Final goodbyes, from one green land to another. Days after returning from Bhutan, memories of it's pristine beauty and cheerful people will haunt you to go back. I know I want to and probably will! :)
So where have you been chasing monsoons this season? Tell me in the comments!

-- {All the pictures seen here are shot using a Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM lens I rented from Tapprs. }

Come along with me, on a virtual journey! Find me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Aathira, a pristine place in monsoons is just that, breathtaking!

      Delete
  2. WOW :) No words to describe the beauty of this place. Nice Photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a lucky coincidence, being there in the monsoons! :)

      Delete
  3. Really Nice pics with interesting and valuable facts

    ReplyDelete
  4. just like I saw it, beautiful pictures and writeup Neelima :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant frames, Neelima. Bhutan is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niranjan, yeah, Bhutan was quite spectacular!

      Delete
  6. Wow! It does look like a fairyland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Aarthy, they have maintained their natural wealth so well.

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful place, I can see from these photographs, why People of Bhutan are one of the Happiest population in world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pics Neelima... I plan to visit Bhutan in summer 2015, not in monsoon...hope to find it as beautiful as in your pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monsoons truly make a green place like Bhutan even more beautiful! I havent gone further than Lonavla during the Monsoons but your scenic pictures are definitely telling me to plan a trip to Bhutan. It is truly spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful article like your photographs.
    Loved it and Thanx for sharing.
    Keep up the good work and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Find me on Twitter

Subscribe