When Strange Places Feel Like Home

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Two months ago, I had this momentous epiphany that I should be giving up the apartment, my belongings, a stable base and live out of a backpack. I gave my two months notice to the house owner, packed up my stuff and made plans to call the road home. And the first place I wanted to go back to, as a nomad, was a strange place that was never comfortable, always had great adventures in store for me and felt like another planet to someone who comes from the land of bright tropical sunshine - Ladakh!

Leh Palace in Winter
Leh Palace, glowing on a winter morning
I always thought, as a wandering soul at heart, I would never want to call one place home. But here in Ladakh, every single time I arrive, I feel at home. Including last month’s journey, I’ve been here five times already - thrice in summers and twice in winters! I returned this time thinking I’ll be back again coming summer. I often wonder, how is it that a place can call out to me again and again, and again?

But what makes a place feel like home? 
Familiarity? Probably. 
Novelty? Certainly not!

The first time I arrived in Ladakh, it was like novelty hit me in the gut and assaulted my senses ceaselessly. I never knew Himalayas were so dry, muddy and so majestic. The oxygen deprivation was a completely new sensation altogether and the proximity to sky-high mountains was inexplicably nostalgic - having grown up in plains, those were memories probably from my past life.

It was here in these mountains that I first experienced freedom in its purest form. Sitting on the banks of a solitary Pangong, then untainted by the consumerist hogwash, I felt like I arrived at the end of the world. Except for a handful of vehicles, the disastrous human touch was delightfully absent and the untarnished natural beauty of the blue lake was mine and only mine to savour. It’s been 7 years since I first set foot in this enchanted land, I’ve seen the place change over the years - from blissful desolateness to pitiful commercialization. I’ve seen the place grow, I’ve explored it’s nooks and corners - I’ve gone from the marshlands of Chushul to the tribes of Dah Hanu, reached scintillating heights of Stok Kangri to freezing depths of Chadar. I’ve followed the trail of a Snow Leopard and watched dozens of Kiangs(Wild Asses) run amok across the cold desert. Every time I’m here, a sense of belonging and a rush of familiarity washes me over. 

Flowers around Hemis Monastery
Flowers on the way to Hemis Monastery
I do not live here, but I see a friendly face on every corner. I did not grow up here, but there’s always someone who recognizes me here. I do not belong here, but my body adjusts perfectly fine to the high altitudes & freezing temperatures here. My mind - it takes flight here! There is something in these hills that reminds me of a place called home, that was never mine to begin with. 

Last January, when I was worried sick about walking on Chadar(it’s a frozen river for god’s sake, which can break anytime!), I completed the trek without any incident. Our guide said, this was a rare occurance that we finished the trek without any weather related trouble or the need to wade barefoot through freezing waters. This year, when I went back, Ladakh welcomed me with a warm heart in the dead of winter by showing me its colorful festival welcoming summers! Feels like Ladakh takes care of me, always. 

Dosmoche Festival
Dosmoche Festival, marking the beginning of summer
How many times have we made silent promises that we’ll be back somewhere and how many times have we actually gone back? With Ladakh, I go back every single time I make that promise. I’ve been to thousand other places since my journey started at Ladakh and till today Ladakh is one of the very few places that truly feels like home - oxygen deprivation, lack of greenery and freezing temperatures notwithstanding! Sometimes the strangest of places feel like home and perhaps the magic lies exactly in not knowing why. 

Ladakh is my strange beloved place I can call home, what’s yours?

Come along with me, on a virtual journey! Find me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You Might Also Like

26 comments

  1. This surely happens ...at a place where you havn'nt been earlier at alll...everything seems welcoming .. your heart constantly says ...this is it

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful description of "home", Neelima. Your words sure made me want to go back somewhere I love too - Kumaon's that place for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very TRULY, perfectly put. I could 'feel' every word :-).

    Keep going Neelima!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully described. I can relate to that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post. I do associate with the feelings here.
    It's Kalpa for me, a strangely, dreamy place in Kinnaur. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post. I have never been there but post like this made me to go there as soon as possible.
    Keep travelling keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great... I also feel like settling down in ladakh, af3tr reading this... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful words Neelima. For someone who has never been to Ladakh these would read like a fairy tale, and those that have been there know that the fairy tale is real.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a wonderful read, Neelima. For me, that home has to be Gokarna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful words, Neelima. My home is Himachal, any turn in the state feels like a shade on a warm Summer afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to see you back on road again Neelima. I am an avid follower of your blog. Btw beautiful pics especially that of Dosmoche festival.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post! Ladakh truly is magical and words cannot describe it… one only has to experience it. Strangely its one of the few places I would love to go back too…

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been wanting to do this circuit for years now, but I think I am just not trying HARD ENOUGH !

    ReplyDelete
  14. completely in agreement with you neelima..Ladakh is some mystic place with magical magnetic powers that keeps calling us back each time. I have been there 3 times and the desire for another visit just surges

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could feel your passion and heart in this one Neelima. I enjoyed the read, especially from someone who's never been there. Maybe you do belong there. Love the flowers on the way to Hemis Monastery too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice post Neelima. and i agree with you Ladakh is wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter loves reading your travelogue. I once introduced your blog to her stating that you are my former student and I tried teaching civil engineering to you at IIT Madras!!! :-)

    Very nicely written, comes straight from heart and we are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this information with. I love to visit strange and untapped places.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very beautifully written and amazing photography as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just can't get over this beautiful piece of writing. I have already read this one thrice. :) Oh! And the images complement the write-up so much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Neelima, you are inspring me to chose a life of nomad....some day.... !!! beautiful post and information!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Neelima,
    I truly enjoyed reading your blog, your writing was spot on and whoever reads it will be truly dreaming of backpacking through Ladakh. Maybe it is because we think alike and share similar ideas. The pictures were a bonus for me, but what a bonus it was! Ladakh is a true paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Straight from the soul..and amazing pics too

    ReplyDelete
  24. Straight from the soul..and amazing pics too

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Neelima,
    This is a lovely post. Ladakh is truly wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Find me on Twitter

Subscribe