13 Incredible Pictures of Cloud Inversion in Western Ghats!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

First time I saw white fluffy cottony clouds below me, through the flight window, I almost cried! That's how much I love clouds. There is something so inexplicably magical and mysterious about the white wonder that comes and goes and makes everything around it look so beautiful. I never knew these kind of views existed in the real world and even if they did, I wondered they must be in some place exotic quite far away. When I saw photos of clouds in Western Ghats I didn't believe it, until I saw the magic unfold in front my eyes. Today I have been blessed enough to have a collection of photos of clouds from Western Ghats, it has been 3 years since I started trekking and I have seen clouds very few times. Of those few times I had even lesser time to shoot the clouds, but many misses later, I think I can show you a quarter of the actual opulence through these captures of mine.

Kodachadri Clouds
One of the most beautiful things I have seen so far in all my travels is clouds drift into valleys. This was seen quite recently around Kodachadri during sunset.

When I say good things come to those who wait, I am not kidding. See what we saw just because we waited it out. A Brilliant show of clouds and colors at Narasimha Parvatha during Sunset.

Way back in 2010, I had my heart skip a beat. That was after all the first time I was seeing clouds beneath my feet. Shot at Kodachadri during Sunset.

When the greens, whites and reds put up a show together, you can do nothing else but stare with wonder. Shot at Kodachadri last weekend during Sunset.

While the Sunsets always have been much more dramatic, Sunrise brings calmness that nothing can compare with. Mornings are serene, solemn yet extremely soothing in its simplicity. Sunrise at Narasimha Parvatha.

At times, the camera sees much more than I do. The camera captures, I imagine. Both of us together can work wonders I guess.  Sunset at Narasimha Parvatha brought pink shades along with the greenery.

Walking along the clouds was always just a metaphor I thought. What did I know that such places do really exist, we haven't lost all yet. There is still a lot that can be preserved. Evening walk along the ridges, along the clouds, enroute Kodachadri.

Looking down at the trail we came through last night, if only we were still there while clouds kissed the sky! Ridges around Kodachadri, one morning during sunrise.

When we wake up to views like this, how can we not think Life is Beautiful? It is such a beautiful world all around us. Sunrise at Narasimha Parvatha.

Layers and layers of mountains in the far distance and only those who managed to rise high, rise above the clouds to enjoy the view. From inside it is nothing but blinding mist! Life's lessons taught with subtlety at Kodachadri during Sunset.

I always imagined if we jump into the clouds, we won't pass through, just how we saw in the cartoons as kids. I wonder how it would've been it were actually true, jumping into the clouds and float away along. Narasimha Parvatha magic at Sunrise.

It is quite difficult to see such clear clouds during monsoons, it is all misty and view is obscured. But the clouds are around nonetheless, sometimes they open up to show the green valleys beyond. Taken at Tadiyandmole one day.

I turned back a million times before I left. I was afraid the clouds might vanish in a split second. But they didn't, they stayed, until they left that is. But here in my mind, the clouds will be beneath my feet forever, Thank you Western Ghats, without you my life wouldn't be the same! Thank you for showing me the beauty that I never knew existed! Sunrise at Narasimha Parvatha.


Come along with me, on a virtual journey! Find me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You Might Also Like

65 comments

  1. amazing pics... these pics calls back and tempts to go there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a Charmed life my dear... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write so well.. !!!

    You say

    "First time I saw white fluffy cottony clouds below me, through the flight window, I almost cried! "

    And i know what you mean :) keep rocking !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breathtaking pics, Neelima!! absolutely awesome!!! i remember the first time i saw clouds from a plane too... and wondered what it would be to walk on them! still imagine that every time i am on a flight!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb pics...God is great...This place looks like heaven :)

    Regards
    village girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent composition ! Please do more trekking.. :) . Do you have any videos of these ? I love the kodachadri one !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome captures!!

    www.rajniranjandas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. "First time I saw white fluffy cottony clouds below me, through the flight window, I almost cried! "

    had you grown in my hometown in Mizoram, you would cry every morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No comments.. In love with those pics !

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! am floored by your photographs!!.

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading these words and seeing the pictures, I forgot for a few minutes that I am sweating in Chennai in the powercut! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow..these pics are a absolute treat to the eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your first line
    "First time I saw white fluffy cottony clouds below me, through the flight window, I almost cried! "

    My comments

    "First pic i saw in this Blog i almost cried"
    You are really gifted yaar every pic you have posted is a gem Neelima ..
    If ever i get a chance out of this mechanical life then i would really love to go with you to these place and see how amazing life could be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, thanks Narayan! It is never too late to start your adventures. :)

      Delete
  14. wow!!! Neelima, they are just amazing!!! no words can describe these beauties :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Visiting ur blog fr the first time neelima and am so glad I did.Yes! the pics are truly magnificent…. magical… and surreal …. They have been so beautifully captured one almost falls instantly in love with every frame. Also ur description of the moment under each frame transports the viewer to the spot. Thank you fr sharing these priceless moments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Visiting your blog for the first time form blogadda.. Excellent pics :) Keep sharing these kind of pics.

    Ramya
    www.fantastic-feathers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anusha SubramanianJuly 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM

    Your descriptions compete with the beauty of the photos!!! Both equally picturesque!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anusha, glad to know you enjoyed the post. Do visit often! :)

      Delete
  18. just awesome......... heaven on the earth.... n it is at western ghats.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more! Heaven is being in western ghats. :)

      Delete
  19. Beautifully captured! And you write so well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing Pics...One must know how beautiful nature is!!!!
    and so well you described...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These pictures dragged me to Narasimha Parvatha with my friends and cousins. There's another place called Babruvahana Kote, which can be seen from Narasimha Parvatha. We're planning to go there next.

    For readers' info: The place has been confirmed as a part of Kuduremukha National Park and declared as a restricted area. Forest department will arrest the night campers and there's even a risk of being shot down by ANF (Anti Naxal Force) during the night - it'll completely legal if they do it.

    You should not be there after 5:00 pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right about the night camping, although it can be done with permission.

      Delete
  22. i absolutely loved your pics..!!! i've always been fascinated by the western ghats and ur pics only added fuel to the fire...!! ;-) and it's only a few places in the western ghats that i have haunted till now..!!! waiting to explore more, thnx to ur blog...!! :-) :-) :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know Aarthy! Western Ghats are amazing, you should explore as much as you can. :)

      Delete
  23. Beautiful photos - I miss my Sahyadris!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its wonderful experience.Your narrative and photography skills are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing, it really is beautiful and you very lucky in having the opportunity to see directly these landscapes.

    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  26. What lovely pictures! Amazing!! would have never witness something like this if had not come across your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruchita, Western ghats are awesome like that, clouds are just few 100kms away! :)

      Delete
  27. Lovely Captures. When is the best time to see such clouds? winter?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super Pictures...I Love Shimoga district of Karnataka...It has lot of mountains and water falls...
    Its very nice you have trekked in Kodachadri and narasimha Parvatha...
    Do visit Jog falls and Agumbe too in Shimoga...
    Thanks for wonderful pictures

    ReplyDelete
  29. prasad suryawanshi,mumbaiOctober 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM

    What a great fortune of yours to experience and capture such great moments !!!! Sahyadris are heacen on earth

    ReplyDelete
  30. Brilliant collection Neelima!

    ReplyDelete

Find me on Twitter

Subscribe